By Myla Townsend, MHS Class of 2015
Hi there, fellow MHS alumni, and welcome back home to Marion, Indiana! You’re probably here for the weekend, a holiday, or just to spend some quality time with mom and dad. We all know Marion is so exciting, just bursting with nightlife and excitement. *haha* But if you’re looking for some help making the most of this quick vacation, look no further! Here are a few local spots to explore to help liven up your trip home:
Summer concert series:
This summer Marion and its surrounding towns will be having some exciting entertainment. Gas City and Fairmount will be hosting concerts all summer long for your listening pleasure. Click on the links to learn more!
These local venues and event spaces also offer a place for relaxation, and sometimes performances. Check their social media pages and websites for more information on events and summer fun:
Curious to see what plays and musicals will be gracing a stage near Marion? These local theaters have just what you’re looking for! Keep an eye on their calendars for more information about show schedules and events:
- Marion Civic Theatre
- Marion Community School of the Arts
- On Stage at Indiana Wesleyan University
- Taylor University Theatre
- Hoosier Shakes
Returning in the early fall will be the Marion Philharmonic Orchestra. The MPO has been bringing orchestral music to Grant County for 50 years! Their calendar of performances will be available on their website after their Summer Break:
You have many options to stay active in Grant County:
- The Cardinal Greenway: More than 60 miles of rail-trail to tour and explore. Cardinal Greenways is a private, not-for-profit organization that encompasses the Cardinal Greenway, White River Greenway, Historic Wysor Street Depot and Cardinal Equestrian Trail. Click here to view an interactive map of the trails.
- There’s also the Mississinewa River to cruise and cool down on a hot summer day. Canoe rental is available at Riverside Sporting Goods, at the corner of Ind. 9 and North Washington Street.
- Yoga may pop up outdoors this summer thanks to Sender Wellness (owned by MHS alum Bill Reece). They have drop-in classes available in their studio in downtown Marion year-round, and when the weather is nice there may be other outdoor options. Check them out on Facebook to keep up with the latest events.
Wineries / breweries
There are multiple wineries and breweries close to Marion for adult indulgence. Both Downing and Oak Hill Wineries offer tastings, and Bad Dad Brewing Co. has a taproom and kitchen. Make sure to check their websites for hours, menus and special events!
Networking / social events:
The Grant County Young Professionals Network (GCYPN) is an organization of professionally minded people that has a focus on bringing together a group of young, high energy individuals for the purpose of collaboration, conversation, and fun! The GCYPN is an association of the Marion-Grant County Chamber of Commerce and is committed to providing an atmosphere for individuals in the community to network, make new friends, and find community leadership opportunities.
These community calendars will help you stay in the loop about multiple Marion and Grant County events.
More community links to explore:
I hope these suggestions helped, and wish to see you back home again soon!